Mission Statement: Feeding Pets of the Homeless believes in the healing power of companion pets and of the human/animal bond which is very important in the lives of many homeless. They find solace, protection and companionship through their pets. They care for their pets on limited resources so they themselves have less. Our task, nationwide, is to feed and provide basic emergency veterinary care to their pets and thus relieve the anguish and anxiety of the homeless who cannot provide for their pets.
At Giving Through Jewelry, 10% of all sales are donated to a charity of the buyers choice. We realize that there are a lot of charities to choose from so we would like to highlight some of our favorites. This month’s featured charity is Pets of the Homeless. Check out our FACEBOOK page at the beginning of each month to see how much was donated.
Pets of the Homeless is a nonprofit volunteer organization that provides pet food and veterinary care to the homeless in local communities across the United States and Canada. Their efforts have effects far beyond the care of the pets themselves.
- 3.5 million* Americans are homeless. Between 5% to 10% of homeless people have dogs and/or cats. In some areas of the country the rate is as high as 24%.
- Each homeless person has a unique story; they are people. Some have lost their homes and jobs, some have mental disorders, some are addicts, and parolees. Some are: families, disabled, elderly, abused spouses, teens, and veterans.
- Member collection sites accept donated pet food from people like you. They then deliver it to distributing organizations (food banks, homeless shelter and/or soups kitchens) which have agreed to distribute the pet food to the homeless and poor.
- Veterinarians that are sponsored go to where the homeless congregate and provide veterinary care such as vaccines, spay/neuter and other needed treatments. These are called Wellness Clinics. POTH assist homeless shelters that will allow pets sanctuary with their owners by shipping crates so that the homeless can come in out of the cold and heat.
- Recruiting collection sites and distributing organizations as well as awarding grants are a small part of POTH does. They answer hundreds of requests for information on how to start a pet food pantry, how to volunteer, how to help a homeless person on the street, how to donate if there isn’t a collection site in the area, where to take pet food, and where to get pet food and veterinary care. Pets of the Homeless works with social workers, school children, Scouts, churches and companies who want to help.
How You Can Help
Pets of the Homeless, a nonprofit organization, is taking action to help pets of the homeless in communities across the United States and Canada. We are immeasurably grateful for collection and distribution site members and our supporters who make this work a reality. There is no cost to enroll in our programs, although donations are greatly appreciated to help defer processing costs and assist with all our programs that provide care for pets of the homeless.
There are many ways that you can make a difference for pets of the homeless and help us continue our mission.
You as an Individual can:
Donate: Donate in honor of your pet or loved one.
Host a bake sale or fundraiser at your school, church or business and donate the proceeds to Pets of the Homeless.
Pets of the Homeless provides emergency veterinary care for homeless pets, purchase and ship pet food to local food banks, pantries or soup kitchens, purchase and ship sleeping crates to homeless and emergency shelters so pets can come in out of the cold and heat. We also have ongoing operational expenses associated with the ongoing business needs of the organization.
All donations are tax deductible.
Spread the Word:
Contact local Food Banks, Homeless Shelters and Soup Kitchens to volunteer your time separating and distributing pet food donations.
Visit your local homeless communities and let them know of the resources available to them from Pets of the Homeless. (Emergency veterinary care for their animals, distribution sites where they can get donated pet food for their animal).
Commit to finding 2 new collection sites in your town.
Commit to finding 2 new distribution sites in your town.
Be a Collection Site
• Set up a donation bin in your office, store or business.
• Collect pet food and supplies donations.
• Connect with a local distribution center near your business to take your donations periodically.
Food Banks, Homeless Shelters and Soup Kitchens
• Designate your office, store or business as a distribution center where the pet food and supplies donations can be given out to the homeless.
• Work with collection sites in your area to pick up their donations.
Pets of the Homeless Grant Program
• Pets of the Homeless provides grants to help defer the costs for wellness clinics that provide immunizations, de-worming, flea/tick care, spay/neutering and other care.
• We are looking for volunteer veterinarians and assistants to go to places where the homeless congregate and administer veterinary care to pets of the homeless.
Pets of the Homeless Sleeping Crate Project
• Pets of the Homeless will ship collapsible sleeping crates, food bowls and cleaning supplies to emergency and homeless shelters that are offering assistance for pets.